Met Gala; My favourite looks


This week's blogpost was going to be a write up about my last little city break to Barcelona, seeing as, once again I've been inundated with friends and family asking about my trip and about the recommendations I have, as a few of my nearest and dearest are also jetting off to this picturesque part of Spain in the coming weeks. 

However, that blogpost is going to have to wait until next week because Fashion calls and always comes first, in my opinion anyway! Of course I'm speaking about Monday nights, yearly A-list, fashion/costume extravaganza, The Met Gala.

I was shocked to find out that one of my closest girl friends, didn't actually know what the Met Gala was last night and just simply thought it was nothing more than a posh, fancy dress party, which in some respects I guess she was right, but in the eyes of fashion it is so, so, much more. 

The Met Gala, chaired by US Vogue editor and chief, Anna Wintour, and also formally called The Costume Institute Gala, is the biggest annual fashion fundraising gala on the calendar and benefits the Metropolitan Museum of Art's Costume Institute, in New York city. Each years extravagant a-list event, celebrates the theme of that years Costume Institute exhibition, which in turn sets the tone for the nights formal dress code as guests are expected to choose their formalwear to match the theme of the exhibition, which lets us, commoners of the fashion and costume world, see some of the most extravagant, luxurious, out there, fashion pieces known to man. 

This year's Met gala theme, and therefore the theme of the Costume Institutes Exhibition was/is "Camp: Notes on fashion", based on Susan Sontag's seminal 1964 essay, "Notes on "Camp"" which reflected different ways in which the concept could be constructed. The curator of the Costume Institute, Andrew Bolton, ultimately decided on the theme due to believing that Sontag's writings were "so timely with what is going on currently in the world both culturally and politically" that he felt addressing it as the theme for the year for both the exhibition and the MET Gala would "have a lot of cultural resonance." 

For me, I personally have no idea where I would have taken the theme or what I would done to achieve the "Camp" dress code, but luckily for me, this time, I wasn't invited! However some A-List stars that were and I believe have addressed the theme superbly or just simply wowed me with their fashion statement pieces are as follows;

1. Emma Stone

Emma Stone has always been one of my fashion icons, especially when it comes to her costumes in Scream Queens and she did not disappoint at the Met Gala. Her layered, tulle, baby pink ball gown, designed by Simone Roche, was the perfect nod to the events yearly theme, without being too OTT. It's stylish yet chic, whilst being "camp" all at the same time.

2. Celine Dion 
What a woman!!! There's only so many women who can pull of being dressed as nothing short of a "Vegas" show girl in their lifetime, never mind at 51 years of age and Celine is one of them! Celine I feel, hit the nail on the head in terms of the events theme with this show girl inspired Oscar De La Renta dress and I just can't get enough of this look and thinking how much fun it must have been to wear for the night.

3. Kendal and Kylie Jenner

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVED these two sisters dresses for the evening, Kylie's lilac chain and feather number and Kendal's emblazoned phoenix orange number. Once again a great nod to the events theme for the evening and done with so much class and glamour as expected of these two Kardashian's. 

4. Harry Styles
Doing it for the boys! This look I love and hate all at the same time, a little like I do exercise! I love it because Harry had the pure balls to pull it off and it fits effortlessly with the theme of the night, whilst not being too OTT or too obvious, however I wouldn't want him to turn up wearing this ensemble to date night on a Friday evening if you know what I mean! But being the creative sole he is, I think Mr Styles pulled this look and the theme off effortlessly.  

5. Zendaya 

Last, but by certainly no means least, is the wonderful Zendaya and OH MY GOD! I died and went to heaven when I saw this, nothing short of magical, number being the Disney fanatic I am! This dress truly wowed me, although I'm unsure as to how it fits in with the events theme, other than being so over the top its camp. I loved how the young actress fully devoted herself to the look, carriage clutch and glass slipper on the carpet and all, what a wonderful look!

So there you have it, my Met Gala rundown 2019, hopefully my bestie will understand it a little better now, although I don't think she was that far off to begin with! 

Jess xo 






Comments

Popular Posts